Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet.

+2
Force of the divine
Aesop Rock
6 posters

Go down

Internet. Empty Internet.

Post by Aesop Rock Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 am

It seems at random times of the day, my internet will slow from 20 mbps, to 1.4 mbps or lower. Making it nearly impossible to browse the web let alone play Guild Wars. I've reset my router/modem numerous times yet it still presents the same problem. It comes with no warning and no sign of anything wrong except the ridiculously long wait and load times. Any ideas on what it could be?
Aesop Rock
Aesop Rock
Level 3

Guild : BOOM
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Internet. Empty Re: Internet.

Post by Force of the divine Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 am

maybe an annual update of something?
Force of the divine
Force of the divine
Light

Male
Guild : Illuminati Elite
Number of posts : 1495
City : Delft
Hobbies : Hockey (field), GW, drinking beer
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darian Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Do you have the wireless open without password i.e. others nearby can leech off of you? What type of internet do you have, fiber or just DSL/Cable?
Darian
Darian
Level 50

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Amberlyn Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:37 pm

TC
Amberlyn
Amberlyn
Light

Female
Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesop Rock Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Darian wrote:Do you have the wireless open without password i.e. others nearby can leech off of you? What type of internet do you have, fiber or just DSL/Cable?

I've got a cable broadband Internet, I do have it unsecured but the times that it acts up are either really late in the day(10 pm) to early morning (5 am). Besides the say my neighborhood is I'm far enough away from any house to even get any decent signal Twisted Evil
Aesop Rock
Aesop Rock
Level 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Darian Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 pm

That's hard to say, but first I'd lock off the wireless just to be safe. Since cable doesn't garantee bandwidth this could just be the people in your hood watching tv and using internet at the same time. Do you dedicate a wall plug to the modem or do you run a cable line splitter? If it happens all the time maybe you can call your ISP and ask them to do a test on your line?
Darian
Darian
Level 50

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesop Rock Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 am

Darian wrote:That's hard to say, but first I'd lock off the wireless just to be safe. Since cable doesn't garantee bandwidth this could just be the people in your hood watching tv and using internet at the same time. Do you dedicate a wall plug to the modem or do you run a cable line splitter? If it happens all the time maybe you can call your ISP and ask them to do a test on your line?

It's not being split, it's dedicated. Which is really weird. Right now it is working excellent. giving me about 21-22 mbps speed according to the speed test.
Aesop Rock
Aesop Rock
Level 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Darian Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am

Maybe it goes down when your ISP do the backups? call and ask.
Darian
Darian
Level 50

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesop Rock Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am

It's 8:19 pm. The internet has now slowed to 0.70 mbps. WTF.

8:21 pm. 3.4mbps

8:23 pm 1.38mpbs

8:27 pm 0.86mbps

I hate this -_-"
Aesop Rock
Aesop Rock
Level 3

Back to top Go down

Internet. Empty Possibilities

Post by donnilee Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 am

There are quite a few things that can slow down a cable broadband connection. But I'm betting that isn't the problem. I'm betting its your computer.

Here are some suggestions to try:

If you have Windows Vista or 7 - shut off the Windows Automatic Updates.
If you run an anti-virus program, shut it off while playing GW.
If you have a fire wall program, set it to answer all alerts with ALLOW, or shut it off
If you run other programs, such as IM programs, multi-media programs, such as Windows Media Players, and heaven forbid, bandwidth hogs PTP programs like LimeWire or Kazaa, for god sakes, shut them off.

All that should show in your system tray is your conneciton, the time and date, and possibly a correctly set firewall. The rest should be exited while playing the game. Accessing wiki or this site while playing is fairly safe - Just set your browser to block pop-ups and you should be fine.

If you have IE 7, go into the INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED TAB, and scroll down to the bottom - About 7 or 8 items up from the bottom - you will see PHISHING FILTER options - Check off the middle option that says "Turn off Automatic Website Checking. You can still use filter manually through the tools menu (Phishing - Check this website) - but it will stop checking every page you go to - Most of us go to the same 10 sites all the time and know they are safe. This slows down the browser, or can.

If you have IE 8, I'm not sure where the Phishing options are, but you would want to do the same. You could try one of these things at a time to see if they make a difference.

BTW, if you're going to a reset, do the whole shebang, not just the router - shut down 'puter, router, modem, and then bring them up in opposite order, modem, router, then 'puter - then shut off unnecessary programs that might be running.
donnilee
donnilee
Level 80

Female
Number of posts : 814
City : Waterbury, CT
Hobbies : Writing fanfiction for XF, Gaming
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesop Rock Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:32 am

I have and frequently use multiple computers. Including mac. Also other devices that use wifi. When all of them are slow I am quite sure it's the Internet. But I will try your suggestions anyways on win xp.
Aesop Rock
Aesop Rock
Level 3

Back to top Go down

Internet. Empty Wifi

Post by donnilee Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Yeah, okay. If everything is slow, then it probably is the connection - but I would still recommend resetting the modem also. Just the router doesn't always work - the modem buffers IP addresses that it gives out, particularly if you have a dynamic host. Therefore, unplugging that puppy - and leaving it off for 30 seconds to dump the buffer and rebooting can help sometimes - it can get bogged down too, depending on what type of service you have.
donnilee
donnilee
Level 80

Female
Number of posts : 814
City : Waterbury, CT
Hobbies : Writing fanfiction for XF, Gaming
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by recon Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Aesop Rock wrote:It seems at random times of the day, my internet will slow from 20 mbps, to 1.4 mbps or lower. Making it nearly impossible to browse the web let alone play Guild Wars. I've reset my router/modem numerous times yet it still presents the same problem. It comes with no warning and no sign of anything wrong except the ridiculously long wait and load times. Any ideas on what it could be?

peak use hours, do u experience the slowdowns at the same time everyday?

recon
Level 16

Male
Number of posts : 161
City : Tallahassee
Hobbies : this stuff.
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content