Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Den Mother on Manners

+4
paul
Mint(sc)
Kiera
donnilee
8 posters

Go down

Den Mother on Manners Empty Den Mother on Manners

Post by donnilee Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 am

Hey all - wanted to throw a bit out there on manners - in both guild and alliance chats. Last night we had another incident that got me thinking all over again. There is a reason that I love this alliance, a reason that five or so of my buddies and I have done what we had to do (kept a dying guild alive as long as possible, switched guilds and built from scratch, etc.) to stay in this alliance. Because we are older, mature and like the fact that Akroma has done a SUPERB job of making this a place that we want to come and hang out and we feel comfortable here with the friendly atmosphere.

Now, that being said, there's always one or two that have to go and try and ruin everything. No one should HAVE to say this anymore, but what the hell, my reputation as a stern Den Mother of the guild is well established, and hey, I got irked last night, so here goes. Several points I want to make.

First, we all have different levels of tolerance for language, etc., that we find offensive. That's a given. You might say something one night and no one responds. Another night, you get a rash of crap for it.

SOLUTION: If someone asks you to stop, STOP! It's very simple. This is what we call Common Courtesy. This is called Respecting your Fellow Players Feelings. This is called Being Polite.. silent

Whether you think its offensive or not is immaterial. Someone else does. If someone else does, have the courtesy to stop and at the very least, take your conversation to a private message or meet that person with whom you are speaking, and speak in TEAM CHAT. That's one of the things they are there for.

DO NOT: Give the offended person lip -- tell them they are stupid for feeling offended. No
DO NOT: Make lame excuses like 'no one else was saying anything interesting', or 'I just wanted to see if I could get a reaction', or claim Freedom of Speech or some nonsense. pale
DO NOT: Argue. Just STOP! Take it private. Simple. Shocked

Second, I don't know what the other guilds throw out to new recruits when they bring them in for guidelines, or if they have any at all, for that matter. Here's what I tell all potential recruits BEFORE they are invited.

"We have a couple of guidelines. Be polite in guild/alliance chat, no gay/ethnic bashing, and let an officer know if you'll be gone more than 30 days. Are you okay with that?"

They must say YES, before I will send the invite. This way they cannot say they weren't warned. If later, a derogatory comment, joke, etc. is made, whether it references sexual preference, race, or language, they are warned to stop. If they do, fine. If they don't, we kick them. One warning, no second chances. We insist on a basic level of courtesy and have zero tolerance for racial/sexual or derogatory comments toward other members, whether they are directed at another guild member or a member of the alliance.

Bottom line is, it's not to much to ask that we all be polite and courteous. We all know how. If you are the one that made the offensive comment, don't be offended yourself, just realize you have a different tolerance level and/or opinion than someone else and save it. Stop, and let it go, move on to something else. Simple.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a curmedgeon about manners. I am fairly aged, compared to many of you, but I still don't think it's too much to ask lol!

Let's all try to be polite and courteous. Please. One of the benefits will be not having to see me rant about this again. Shocked
donnilee
donnilee
Level 80

Female
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 814
City : Waterbury, CT
Hobbies : Writing fanfiction for XF, Gaming
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Den Mother on Manners Empty Re: Den Mother on Manners

Post by Kiera Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:46 am

*blows the dust off this post*
Just a reminder to all, please spread the word through your Guilds that common courtesy as outlined above is still expected from everyone within the Alliance.

Positive actions and behaviours towards one another go far in helping to foster a fun, enjoyable environment for the Alliance. Please help us by doing your part to make this the place to be, where everyone feels welcome and has a blast!
Kiera
Kiera
Divine Light

Female
Number of posts : 3612
City : Northeast USA
Hobbies : Chasing Dots
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mint(sc) Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 am

Wholeheartedly agreed. Whatever happened to Donnilee? I haven't seen her in far too long. *sad*
Mint(sc)
Mint(sc)
Level 60

Male
Number of posts : 629
City : Plantersville, TX
Hobbies : Most anything to do with Dinosaurs. :)
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by donnilee Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

I'm still here, kicking weird hours. I'm on almost every day though. And being a Baldur's Gate fan, I love the avatar! lol

Hope to see you soon. Didn't even see this post. Been a while since I checked back here. :O)
donnilee
donnilee
Level 80

Female
Number of posts : 814
City : Waterbury, CT
Hobbies : Writing fanfiction for XF, Gaming
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by paul Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am

this is a great post and a subtle reminder to me thanx =]

paul
Level 10

Male
Guild : The Lords of Dragonheart [RLR]
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 pm

*bump*
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by fictitiousacct Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 pm

lmao way to necro a post xD
fictitiousacct
fictitiousacct
Level 28

Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2013-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pseudonym Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:25 pm

Probably applicable to read every so often.
Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Level 26

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by shammaster Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm all for politeness and courteousness. I prefer it that way.  However, I invite you all to read some things about being offended.

Jeremy Statton: Offense

The Adult Version:
Go to 3:23

shammaster
Level 3

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content