Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guild Wars 2 on Mac help

4 posters

Go down

Guild Wars 2 on Mac help Empty Guild Wars 2 on Mac help

Post by Logan Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes I know, it's bizarre. But I decided to try to get the beta running on my macbook pro. It's one of the newer ones so I can just use wine or something. Does anyone have tips to get the beta working without problems on mac?

If no one does, I'll just install the real game on my old dell laptop when I get down to college and then get a copy of windows 7 to run bootcamp on my mac.
Logan
Logan
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1021
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Back to top Go down

Guild Wars 2 on Mac help Empty Re: Guild Wars 2 on Mac help

Post by Kiera Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:28 am

Talk to tank, pretty sure he is using his mac.
Kiera
Kiera
Divine Light

Female
Number of posts : 3612
City : Northeast USA
Hobbies : Chasing Dots
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeze_XJ Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Wine works, and Crossover should get the stuff done as well, but with some weird bugs still in it. The ones I discovered (running Linux):

- Mouse-look doesn't work, you cannot change your point of view, except when bugging, so you'll have to aim your character right.
- Installing errors out every 10k downloaded files (some 20 times in total) because GetLogicalProcessorInformation fails. Simply restart the client, and it will continue again for a while. Only applies to installing stuff.
- [AMD-GPU only] My drivers were out of date, I had to use the 12.6 version (Beta for me, due to old GPU), which made it error out immediately after hitting 'Play'.

I'm putting this here merely for reference, since the beta-weekend is already over, but the bottom line is that yes it runs under Lin/Mac, but not perfectly.

Freeze_XJ
Level 7

Male
Guild : Happy Enchanted Heros
Number of posts : 78
City : Cheesehead Country aka the Netherlands
Hobbies : pestering computers
Registration date : 2010-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by tank the lor Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Logan, I run Guild Wars on Crossover and it works perfect. However, when I tried downloading and running the GW2 client using crossover it didn't work. What I did was just use BootCamp (it comes already on your macbook, you just have to look for it) and installed Windows using an old install disc from my previous computer to where I can run windows on my Mac. Once you install windows you have to put in your Mac OS CD while running windows to install the drivers or else your sound, mouse, and internet will not work (took me forever to figure this out). I have one major problem with this approach though, but you hopefully will not have the same problem, and it isn't that big of a problem, just annoying. If you do, here is a easy solution. The problem is that I didn't have my actual computer to get the registration key so after about 2-3 weeks when i would start up windows it would tell me I had the wrong registration code and wouldn't let me use windows. Luckily I found out how to bypass this thanks to the wonders of the internet. It gives you 3 options - limited access to buy a new key, enter new code, or contact dell. You click limited access and this will open up IE. If you type in the address bar "C:\" and hit enter it will open up windows explorer. From here you open the Windows folder and open "explorer.exe" and this will give you full access to windows. That isn't the annoying part. The annoying part is that after about 30 minutes windows will shut down and kick you out. All you do is repeat what you did before, and since GW2 lets you start back exactly where you left off, its no real problem, but it is a huge pain in the ass. Moral of story - HAVE THE CORRECT REGISTRATION KEY.
tank the lor
tank the lor
Level 12

Male
Number of posts : 120
City : Murfreesboro
Hobbies : Playing with bacteria and parasites
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content