Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guidelines for Officers

+3
Mighty
Finnguala
The Beau Brothers
7 posters

Go down

New Guidelines for Officers Empty New Guidelines for Officers

Post by The Beau Brothers Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Here are the Guidelines that we agreed upon before creating AoL in GW2. I think that is it time to rethink these rules. Especially, before we promote any new officers. Some old friends that I am thinking of promoting are: Zero, Logan, and Yuri. Logan has expressed interest. Some newer members I would consider are Roasted Walnuts and Great Bay. If there are others, please feel free to mention them.

However, back to my point. Very few of us officers actually live up to these rules as originally written. If we followed these to the letter, we would not have a single officer in the guild.

Let us create rules that we are all willing to abide by. They should not be quite as strict as written below, but we do need to have some requirements. I like the officer core consisting of us members that are the heart of AoL. Neoteo, Ratch, Yuri, Mighty and I have been around since 2007 or earlier. The rest of you came shortly thereafter. I think that says something about our commitment to AoL. But, we do need some new blood too.

Please, leave your suggestions and ideas on this thread.

Mighty wrote:
The Army of Lightness

LEADERSHIP
The AoL Launch Hierarchy…
consists of a Guild Leader, The Senior Officer & The Officers. Officers and Senior Officers have all powers except for Promotion, Demotion, Emblem Alteration & Rank Alteration. Senior Officers have a greater role in the administration of the guild and may step in for Guild Leader if necessary.

The leadership structure is subject to change as the game progress and the needs of the guild changes.
As interests and expertise develop, we may develop niche officers specializing in their areas of interest. Positions of this nature will be added on the fly upon membership initiative and leadership consent.

-Duties
Officers regulate the social scene…
of the guild to ensure cliques and special interests don’t divide the guild, while encouraging and nurturing members to challenge themselves and to remain active. Officers make sure that the existing AoL body stays true to our mission statement. Officers are role models, don’t be afraid to approach one if you have a question or concern.

-Requirements
Leadership is built on and dependent on communication and activity
Officers are required to remain active and have an involved presence in the guild. All officers will have access to vent and GMail as a requirement. Officers also may not represent other Guilds. Furthermore Officers whom are absent for more than three days will be demoted if the Guild Leader hasn’t been notified. Officers are to put the needs of the guild ahead of their own. Officers must be diplomatic, enthusiastic, even-tempered, tan and handsome (and clearly have a good sense of humour). Keep in mind the Leadership is dynamic, as people step down, others will be brought up. We aim to have a reasonable ratio of Officers to Members. This means we are always watching (in a non-creeper way) to see who is constantly involved with the Guild, how well do they communicate with people, do their actions match their words as trust plays a HUGE part with being in the Leadership group of AoL. However if you ASK to be an officer, most likely not in this lifetime will you be made one Smile no matter how great you tell us you are.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

New Guidelines for Officers Empty Re: New Guidelines for Officers

Post by Finnguala Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Dye (Shaft Bellsem) has expressed interest as well. I think he would make a great officer.
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1097
City : Mid-Atlantic USA
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 am

I have talked to Dye about it. He doesn't really want the responsibility. Once we come up with our new officer guidelines, I will present them to him again, and see if it sounds good to him then.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:33 pm

The only "Core of AoL" whom are on this game...is Beau & Ratche & myself. We need to rethink how we approach this game. I feel like we should kick our members. We're not doing ourselves any favors by having an inflated roster. I say we kick ALL but the most active and recognizable members. REQUIRE Mumble - Forum optional (its dying off). Forum is mandatory for Officers.

We need to stop playing this game for others and start finding people to play it with.

I really want Clem back, I feel like he had us in the right direction - we need activity - we need drive....we need results.

Mighty
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1126
City : VA
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 pm

agreed 100% Mighty
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:21 pm

I offered to give Clem full control, but he was not interested. He had good ideas, but they were not for a smaller cozy AoL. He left us for an elite dungeon grinding guild. He was a bit of an elitist. I heard many complaints from members about him asking about dungeons then not responding when they said they wanted to join. Only to find that he would be in the dungeon with pug groups.

I do like the idea of a big guild. I love you guys, but how often are we on at the same time to play. I see Wine and Flynx a lot, but maybe see the rest of you once or twice a week if I am lucky. I want to be able to find people to play with all the time. It is a wonderful ideal to think that we will always be here to play with each other, but we just are not. I want to make new friends. And the more people we have playing the more bonuses we can keep running. I know Flynx likes those.

I do not like the idea of Elite groups. I do not like elite dungeon grinders. I do not like elite groups of friends. In our guild, just old friends seems awfully lonely. Few if anyone ever really talks to me anyway.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Before we get too far in Mighty's proposal, I would like to formalize new officer guidelines. I have not gotten much input here. I want to do this and then invite Zero and Logan into Mighty's conversation. (Yuri seemed hesitant, I will talk to him again.)

Before we can decide what we want AoL to be, we need to decide what we want out of our officers.

One step at a time! This one first.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:13 pm

He had good ideas, but they were not for a smaller cozy AoL.

What kind of ideas are not for a "smaller, cozy AoL"? I'm interested to know.
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Smaller maybe yes, but not cozy. I felt he was pushing for more of an elite players guild. If that is what the officers want, I will be happy to go along with it. I gave Clem the chance to take the reigns, but he preferred to go somewhere else than make it happen here. I gave my thoughts on what I want the guild to be like in Mighty's thread. I would like this thread to concentrate on what we expect from our officers... from ourselves.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 am

As I stated in my other thread, I no longer thing that we should worry so much about our roster size. If we need the space we could start kicking people. I also noticed more action on the guild chat but once again it's a small percentage of this, I propose one thing we as officers need to to is try to talk to the members who never say anything, whisper them and see what's going on. I've done this once or twice but didn't get any response, gonna start trying that again.
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Ok.....

This topic has steered way off the original topic.. I tried to steer it back by combining Mighty's suggestions into his thread, but reviewing this again, I see that I did not look carefully enough.

This thread is about what WE as officers expect from OURSELVES. NOT what we expect from the guild. I know there will be some overlap, but.........

Bad Example: Getting people onto the forum. This should be discussed when we talk about what we expect from the guild.
I suppose we could make a rule for officers about recruiting. *When you recruit a new person, you must ensure that they sign up on the forum and mumble right at the same time.

Good Examples: Officers should strive to log into the game every day, even if it is just to check in and say hi.

Officers must log into the forum at least once every three days. This can be tracked:

Members connected during last 72 hours : -Lance-, Anya, Becca, Blank De Ratche, d-shadow, Danjc, daylecampbell, Echo, exanimo, Finnguala, Flynx, Kiera, Kills For Dye, Logan, Lucci_Slevin, Matt4Sin, modesty, Rhianna, SirJames, The Beau Brothers, Venora Tulka, whodini, worf warrior, Yuri Mortenzen, Zero
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Beau I agree with everything you've said in that post. It should always be a point to make sure new recruits use the forum and mumble. Even without a mic, mumble is invaluable for dungeons because sometimes its much easier to hold down one button and still move and attack instead of stopping to type.

As for the logging on to the game and forums thing, I think that the forum idea is fine. But the game req could be every other day, because speaking as a college student, some days I'm too busy to log into this game. Also, if for whatever reason you feel you won't be in game for an extended period of time, I think you should be required to state why. Kinda like a paid leave from a job.

Finally, one thing we could do that I had my officers do when I briefly served as GL to Nubz is to have the officers specialize in something. Whether it be dungeon running or WvW or Fractals or just mapping, we could all develop a skill set for particular areas in game that we could use to help the members even more.

My last thing, and I don't think this is an issue at all, is communication from officers. I think we all talk in guild chat a lot. Perhaps one thing we could work on is to be on mumble whenever we are on if possible. Whenever I log in game, I always go on mumble as well. Doing so allows you to make groups easier or, as in my case last night, meet some members you've never talked to before. I was able to do that and we really hit it off, knocking out the daily, Teq, and some story missions.

Just my ideas.
Logan
Logan
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1021
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 am

one note on mumble

anyone from AoL have admin rights on the Liars mumble server ?

i dont have permissions to go anywhere atm .. we need to setup somekind of system to give permissions to new recruits also.

i agree with login to mumble when playing should be obligatory

register in forum also obligatory for new recruits

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1595
City : Macau
Hobbies : Electric Devices
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:36 am

Hey Neo,

Beau has admin rights on Mumble... To my knowledge, he's the only one from AoL who has it.
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1551
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 am

ok .. im working on setting up a mumble server ... if everything goes well it will be ready by the end of this month.
neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 am

I think that we should make an agreement to use Liar's mumble server as well, after all we have some of their members in our guild. That would be a great way to keep the alliance together until they actually create alliance capability.
Logan
Logan
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 am

if there is no issues on space i totaly agree with using liars server.

would be cool to have more people with admins rights there tho

my server can be used as a back up .. we will see how it goes , my server will be hosted in macau , so we also need to test in terms of lag how it will work for people around the world.
neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 am

I disagree with mandatory use of Mumble while playing.

Sometimes you're playing, laid-back, and you don't care for much interference. I would agree with a guideline saying that Mumble be mandatory, at least as an option, for most group events (e.g. fractals, dungeon, WvW, bounty).
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:07 am

Maybe the mandatory should mean - mandatory sign up but not necessarily mandatory use. I think its very important to have mumble it makes things so much easier - and it adds a depth to communication that you can't substitute anything else with, every time I've played this pass midnight its been because I'm on mumble - there's literally no downside to using mumble other than your folks hearing you scream like a lil bitch when you get killed by wargs.

As far as guild lines for officers -

Mandatory Forum & Mumble (unless other wise stated)

Bi-daily activity OR Daily Forum participation
- I feel like even if an officer isn't active in game, if their active on the forum and constantly giving feedback, lending their ideas and giving their opinions their furfilling a more important role as an officer than logging onto the game just to do dailies and log off.

Mighty
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1126
City : VA
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm going to have to start this thread over with a big notice at the top.

DO NOT reply to this thread unless you have a suggestion for guidelines of officer behavior!

I'll see if I can piece together the good bits. Very Happy
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

The Beau Brothers wrote:I'm going to have to start this thread over with a big notice at the top.

DO NOT reply to this thread unless you have a suggestion for guidelines of officer behavior!

I'll see if I can piece together the good bits. Very Happy

What about arguments opposing a suggestion?
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Of course, discussion and opposition to ideas are welcome. I want to come up with rules that the majority of us can live with. I like our officer core the way it is more or less. I just think that it would be good do define what we, as officers, are. Define what we expect from each other. Officer should not be an honorary title. It should mean something. We can add another level to officers maybe. The lowest level officer could be someone like Tank. Someone we trust to keep order and invite and kick people, but does not participate in managing the guild. Ranks above that will need to have rules, responsibilities, weekly duties, etc....

My original purpose for this thread was to discuss and debate officers. When I have time, I will start a new thread putting together what has already been discussed here that applies directly to that topic. Then I will create a separate thread to discuss what we expect from our members.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:12 pm

While I like the idea of ranked officers, I think our ranking system of senior officer and officer is fine. If we put too many ranks, it's just gonna become a convoluted mess.
Logan
Logan
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:54 am

Here's my ideas regarding what I think are officers' duties and what our guild should be like:

Officers:
  1. Law and Order: While I do not see this happening very often, it is sometimes required from an officer to step in some discussion going on in Gchat to prevent it from escalating into some sort of conflict... Sometimes jokes can be taken too far or members do not realise...
  2. Propaganda: Basically just reminding members about our forums and mumble when appropriate... Also advertise some of the activities we may have in-game or in forums.
  3. Helpfull: I always try to be helpful when someone needs... This could mean help a member achieving a goal in-game (levelling, story, giving away materials, gear, gold, etc...). I also think that, to be helpful, one should have basic knowledge of game settings (and mumble too to some extent)... To be able to answer some simple question such as "where is guild panel" or "how to change key bindings" or "how to set clock to my local time"... Nothing too hard but that some members could ask. Preparing forum content/walkthrough for members (such as events locations, etc...) is very helpful if you visit the forums that is.
  4. Recruiting: Of course there should be some recruiting involved somehow

Not sure if we should have specialists for this and that... It's better if you know the ins and outs of the game but does not necessarily makes you a better officer/leader if you do.

Our guild:
I think our guild should more or less stay the way it is now, that is, conductive for good cooperative play. And by this I mean I would like to avoid to be like some guilds I've met in WoW with military-like policies that have a raid rosters and if you do not show up you're out of the roster and get penalties... Some have farming quotas for guild bank, etc... I want to avoid this kind of things and not put pressure on our members or push/force them to achieve something within a deadline. Same goes for planned events, if people sign up and do not show up, it is not the end of the world... events can be postponed and we all have to understand that RL sometimes gets (or should get) the best of you.
So yeah, keep it flexible, keep it casual with some structure of course but the main goal is to have fun.
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1551
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 am

Mumble for officers.

i dont think they need to logon to mumble everytime they play , i think all officers should be registered and have ocasional meetings in mumble with others officer and the leader .. this meetings can even be with the gw2 client off.

i think when people talk to each other, brings all this down to the reality level ... text is a strong media for fiction and roleplaying ... but not so strong for basic human relations .. i mean can easily be misunderstood ... where the voice tone helps with that issue.

Mumble for members

i think if there is a core group of officers using mumble and forming groups to farm and dungeons with members ... member will want to be part of the voice fun involved ... not to mention that makes coordination much easier.

Recruiting

we need to be serious about this ... we had 220 members not long ago , now we are down to 180 ...

if we dont recruit we lose people. A guild takes time to create a big core group .. the only way to achieve it is to keep recruiting. some will stay, some will go, some will stop playing .. etc etc etc ... we are old to know this.
i know my time zone is odd .. but everytime i login now there are less then 10 people online and half are allys.

Ranks

I think we could have a rank for people that are not officers , but also recruit
something like this with different names

LEADER

SENIOR OFFICER

OFFICER

RECRUITER - same as member but can recruit

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 am

I've thought about that, but need to be careful who we choose. There is no specific permission for recruiting. It is a bigger permission Admin Lower Ranks. So, it is Recruit or Kick.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 am

i agree need to be someone that have gained trust. i would say this is a rank someone gets before they become officers.

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 am

Kinda like an officer trainee?
Logan
Logan
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:45 am

i would say like a trusted member .. more like a high rank member then a lower rank officer

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content