Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Propositions

+2
The Beau Brothers
Mighty
6 posters

Go down

My Propositions  Empty TEMP

Post by Mighty Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 am

Just to be a soundboard for arguing's sake.

We need dedicated players, we need active players, we need social players - what kind of player is more active, more social, more contributing then people like Beau, Clem or Anya?

As officers its our duty to make the guild a better place - I see how however that perhaps our hands on approach to member (make events/ pull them out/ lead runs) are mostly in vain.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Those that are interested in learning the higher end parts of the game will learn them.

Like I said...
We need to stop playing this game for others and start finding people to play it with.

We're spending so much time either being complacent or tending to members that we never develop the skills we need to be competent players. In addition to that I feel like our roster is much too large. We should kick all those inactive , affiliated and for the most part no shows for the guild to make way for a COMPACT, COZY, ACTIVE guild.

We're not getting the most of what we have, with what we have.

I also propose that members/officers be able to free roam across guilds. We can be part of multiple guilds, so we shouldn't use that as a means to strap people down. I say this from this stand point. I have been inactive and active throughout various points in AoL's history - but I've always had AoL's best in mind and I give my opinion with I feel its needed (most of the time). Whats the difference between me not being here in game vs me being in game, available but not repping? I'm not a different person just because I changed cape - I don't have different priorities - I just have different friends.

If we're going to be a successful guild we can't cling to the ways of the old. Its not worth arguing and politicking over all this stupid shit because we're missing the greater point of THIS IS A GAME , IF YOU START PLAYING IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE YOUR JUST GOING TO MAKE YOURSELF MISERABLE- AS OFFICERS WE LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

The example we set now should be - we're learning from our mistakes, we're moving together as a collective and that we value the friendships we made.

I keep repeating myself but I'm in rant mode...

We need to downsize and I'll make a post of my propositions.

Mighty
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1126
City : VA
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

My Propositions  Empty My Propositions

Post by Mighty Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 am

I've mentioned this to a couple of people and honestly I'm really scared about the state of the guild - I may be over reacting but I kind of see us on our last legs. Several of our top members have left and others are debating it - this is not a good state for us to be in. I'm going to suggest some rash changes but I hope you all can stay with me.

Down Sizing

We have become a pretty large guild; however, I fear we're drowning in our own wait. We have a lot of temporary, in & out and unactive members. We have over a 100 members and our guild chat is chronically dead. This is actually unacceptable - and to be honest if we had a better way of monitoring log-in's this wouldn't be a problem. I propose we (as officers) list all the players who are on when we log on and off the game - here in the forum (like a daily log). We could put up an announcement asking members to prepare for a "roster check". At the end of a weeks time we kick all inactive members - this does not include allies or important members.

By lowering our roster down to a core group of important members I feel we can better develop a sense of community.

Mumble Mandatory/Forum Optional

This is an invaluable tool for communication and building bonds. We most stress this to our members. I our criteria for new members should be based on if they can get mumble or not. Strict, yes. Useful? Defiantly. Also the forum is kind of dead - I feel like Forum should be optional but it should be mandatory for officers.

Free Roam Policy

We're dealing with a very very VERY large and in depth game. With the sheer amount of content and interests its really difficult for us to all be on the same page. Rather than have a social disconnect between members just because of a lack of common ground - I feel like we should allow members/ officers to guild leap. The greatest concern in this would be the question - where does the member's priority lie? The answer is themselves! People play this game for fun, this game shouldn't be miserable or boring and if you want to do something find people to do it with. That doesn't mean your abandoning your guild. I feel like us GW1 folk take the repping thing so serious because we were used to guilds being such a concrete things- now their flexible -we should embrace this and seek out the benefits of this i.e. addition guild banking, i.e. being part of guilds with WvW commanders, i.e. making use of multiple guild bounties and missions. We may hold new members in contempt but I see nothing wrong with seasoned members jumping if they remain active on Mumble and as part of our community.

Change of Leadership

We have gone through several iterations, but I think we should not choose our officers based on talent/skill so much as leadership & risk management. I would also suggest that we strongly consider where we want to have AoL - member wise & community wise, we really need a vision and goal. I don't want to petition for leadership of the guild but as I said my concerns about the longevity of the guild has moved me to say this.
I feel that we're navigating rocky waters - and if we need someone at the helm willing to get us through this I'm up for it.

Please let me know what you all think - I have no intentions of turning AoL into a dictatorship but I feel like we need to have structure and we need to be willing to take a step forward and not just twiddle our thumbs. I am very adamant about the changes I've suggested and I hope to discuss them.

Mighty
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

My Propositions  Empty Re: My Propositions

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 am

While I like some of your ideas, and would support you if the others want you to lead. I would point out that I have asked for input on several issues over the last few months here on the forum, and you have just popped in today. Suddenly, you are all concerned about the fate of the guild because Dayle is playing us and stirring the pot. I know he is playing us, but we have to play his game until he tires of it.

Our primary issue is the one surrounding Dayle. And, Dayle is trying to turn us against each other. I see that he is succeeding. Making drastic changes now is futile. Lets take care of the elephant in the room. We are all playing right into his devious plot. Threatening to leave. Jockeying for position. I'm sure he is gonna read all of this and have a big laugh.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm

That was an angry reply. You have given me input. More than some of the other officers I would add. It was unfair. However, I wish, when I pose a question, I would get more constructive answers. These threads always seem to get derailed into side discussions and then just die.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I understand - I can be difficult to define a path to go down when people are vague OR worse absent. I hope my propositions give clarity as to what I think is best for now. I REALLY think we need to downsize and start driving into more team orientated material because THATS what I believe builds community.

We don't need to organize runs or make schedules I feel like it should be more off the cuff of "lets find a group to do this". That's the advantage of having allies and having different group on allies, in that we can always find people who want to participate in these actives, while we can also invite newbies into the mix.

I guess I wanted to say is that I'm always concerned about the longevity of AoL , I love the people I've met and I want to keep them - I'm just suggesting what I think may be best.

Mighty
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Mighty, I like your ideas. I would say though the forums while not required should be highly recomended. If we want to get together for huge guild events, we're going to need to plan in advance and this is the best place to do it. Beau is right though, Dayle is the problem. I don't think he's going to go away and for some reason I can't comprehend I don't see him giving over leadership. If he really were going to do it, why wouldn't he have done it months ago? or even after his account got hacked?
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Dayle said he will fix it.

If he gets on and does this then we do not need to concern ourselves with it anymore. I hope I'm not just being blindly optimistic.

I was a step ahead with the keeping track of members idea:

My Propositions  Captur12

But I didn't stick to it...

I honestly think we should recruit at least a bit more, we'll end up with more active members in one way or another from that approach.
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1097
City : Mid-Atlantic USA
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 am

I'm still interested in hearing what you all think about my suggestions

> About mandatory mumble
> About downsizing the guild so that we might develop a tighter knight community
> Free roam policy

Mighty
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 am

Downsize no. A compromise that I have already been implementing: With the proposal of promoting Logan, Yuri, and Zero we will have our tight knit community built into the officers corps. However, like I said before, we are rarely on at the same time. We need a lot of players on at all times so our tight knit community isn't all alone when we do get on to play.

I do like the idea of targeted recruiting, but what does that mean for us? For Clem, it was inviting power players that ran well with him in dungeons. I do not think that that fits our core. Nor is it beneficial to the ideal of a social/friendly guild. We can not mind if we attempt a dungeon and we all leave crying. I also think mass recruiting would be cool too. Targeted recruiting is cool, but I have also noticed that for every 5 new recruits we get at least one has been a talker. Not everyone is a talker, but everyone is an influence generator. I like influence.

What do we want AoL to be? That is the big question we need to answer before we move forward.

I like the idea of a Mumble requirement. But, does that mean if you are in the game you are on Mumble every time? Does that mean if you play Friday or Saturday night you get on Mumble? What about someone like Tank who never gets on Mumble or the Forum? Do we demote Tank or kick him out all together? Tank has been a loyal member for nearly as long as you and I, Mighty.

For members, I do not mind a free roam policy. For officers, I do not like it. I have dual membership with Liars. When I want to talk to Liars, I pop in and pop back to AoL when I'm done, or I just talk to them on mumble. I can play with Liars while representing AoL. There is no reason for me to stay representing Liars; unless, they request that I fill out a full guild dungeon party.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm

I suppose my point about downsizing is this:

The way things are you log in and see people on but they do not socialize.

If we downsize, you will log in and there will be NOBODY on to even attempt to socialize with.

I'd rather see a bunch of quiet people than an empty guild.

Quiet people are people too Razz. We benefit them by providing boons, they benefit us by providing influence.

To be completely honest. I would rather have a person who never got on mumble, never said a word in chat, and never got on the forum; but, they represented us all the time, than a person who represents other guilds a lot of the time.

I love the idea of having more active and knowledgeable players in the guild, but I do not mind training them from the ground up. I believe when you spend time with people and teach them they will be more likely to stick around and be friends.

The types of people Clem invited would not give players like Dye and I, and probably the rest of you officers the time of day. Because, we can not run a fractals level 26. Once in a blue moon, Clem would invite me to a lower level run because he wanted to level up an alternate toon. Or, something easy like CoF. I liked Clem a lot, but I do not want people like that in the guild, to be honest.

I would rather train up other guild members. The more that I train the more I have to play with. That IS playing the game for me. I will never be a power player, and I could care less about reaching FoTM 26. If it happens, it happens. Getting a full guild trained to do level 10, now that would be a dream come true.

I would much rather build a guild of sociable, mediocre players than arrogant power players.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-shadow Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 am

i justv gotta say this to be answerign to the claim that we benefit from the larger availabilty of memebers... i checked thru the influence tab... and curently past 14 days we have betweeen 29-53 daily log ins-.. out of 185ppls.... so id say mighty is quite right vabout getitng some of those out that is not repping or logging even on..so we could get some more acrtive and repping persons instead,tho to do tehat we need a plan to recruit , and commmon idea what kinda players we wnat in,and what to keep out
d-shadow
d-shadow
Level 41

Male
Guild : army of lightness [aol]
Number of posts : 414
City : helsinki
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Well I see we have a lot of people iv never even seen logged on since I don't know when. We could cut down on those people (with the exception of the few). And target plays to invite who are active in the game and WILL rep us and up to our level in dungeons, not unactive power players who exceed our skills in Fotm and dungeons..

One other thing - We could, have the requirement of members donating one copper to the guild bank every Sunday for two reasons: to know who's active at least and it will help us with the lotto. Its not a lot either too losing 1 copper is nothing but for the bank it could build up.

On the officers roaming other guilds I am with Beau - I think its okay for officers to peep in other guilds for a moment to ask for parties and such, no reason to rep another guild for a long time. It sets a bad look on officers who don't rep the guild. Members its okay, let them.

We need to use the forum more often, get members to sign up! we need more events too... say every ___day is fotm day... every ___ day is WvW day... every ___ day is Guild bounty day.. every ___ day is SPvP day. Also we DO need a chat client, but I think we need our own... Sure i'm not going to pay for one nor will anyone else so maybe we can use a free client? We could try C3. I am okay with using Liars mumble but I feel it will be more professional for us to have our own to command.

My ideas~
Zero
Zero
Light

Male
Guild : Army Of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1552
City : Las Vegas
Hobbies : Vydia games and music
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I say we try out this C3 thing. Having our own server would a great thing; though Liar's Mumble has great utilities, we need something we can manage ourselves, branded with our name.
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1097
City : Mid-Atlantic USA
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum