Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GW2 and MMORPG retention rates.

2 posters

Go down

GW2 and MMORPG retention rates. Empty GW2 and MMORPG retention rates.

Post by James Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm

it's been almost a year since the release of gw2, I think it serves quite well for a time for me to do a random topic about gw2 and MMORPG retention rates and what I think about the whole ordeal (also may or may not raise forum participation rates)
Let's first talk about MMORPG retention rates. Given a study done in 2006 on EVE Online for 3 years, it is predicted that the retention rate of a MMORPG is quite predictable and this is further reinforced by the fact that the industry suggested rate of retention of players is a good 20-40% and that updates don't significantly change that number over time.
Obviously, the reason behind that is updates usually affects and helps the currently playing people or people who have taken a break or quit. It doesn't really create a surge of influx of new players who buys the game because of a certain update because they don't really have something to compare to whereas older players are the ones who go "oooh look at this update"
Let's now look at gw2, given their one release/update per two weeks method, which I am now starting to have a fear for. It is pretty obvious that these updates are aimed at the retention rate of players. Keeping things "fresh" while churning out updates on a "stale" world. Now I admit, many of you probably are still bitter about the "dynamic events" not being "dynamic" but when given thought, the fact that these events exists at all in itself is a reminder to all of us that most of the time a majority (80-90% ) of the world that they spent so much money and time creating is usually wasted when players reach a certain level. These "dead zones" are the reason MMORPGs are not making any money whatsoever.
But I digress, given these updates, one would wonder what about quit and join ratios? Referencing again to that article, which I shall link at the end, it seems that during those 3 years of EVE Online there are equally many people joining and quitting every year. I personally think that even with these updates there will be an equal amount of people quitting and joining gw2 at any given moment.
As an end result, I fear that even with these biweekly updates, gw2 is going to remain a "stale" and partially dead game given the intrinsic nature of MMORPG population rates. However it is still interesting to see what they'll come up with in order to retain players interested in what the game has to offer in terms of making the player feeling not as powerful but still as a hero. But, I guess that's all personal preferences.
But, here's a link to the research http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CF8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.163.6347%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&ei=liP4Ub64H5KY9QTtnIGgAw&usg=AFQjCNG-6cJZD_5_bN0iEZrdsJ3KmKYh6A&sig2=j-1PST93mB0lcxC6Di2SgA&bvm=bv.49967636,d.eWU. But I want to know what you guys think and here's to the first year of GW2.
James
James
Level 15

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 153
City : Somewhere, United States
Hobbies : Casting Meteor Showers
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

GW2 and MMORPG retention rates. Empty After Thoughts

Post by James Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:15 pm

After thinking about this. I've come to the realization that maybe 2-week updates may not be the worst thing on planet earth. How? Look at other F2P mmorpgs, actually more like mmogs since the gameplay is so lacking in roleplaying immersion they might as well just be games. Other NCSoft titles such as MapleStory and Mabinogi have the story of like none-existent. They are much more like a spaghetti western than GW2 is, though arguably, gw2 is like so as well where you roam around do something and then move on without much after thought and all the characters are either put on a bus, killed off or given laser-guided amnesia.
The 2 -week update is probably best if you consider them like the actual end-game. The part of game where you are at level 80 and you have your exotic gear and your legendaries. This is the part of the game you wait for every 2 weeks, which honestly isn't that long. So you get an update, spend a few days, maybe up to a week farming for all the achievements and then before long you have something else to farm.
But to consider those living world as actual story or things for lower players? That's just too much farming for them. this isn't the material they were looking for in terms of world immersion, this is more like the thing that you do after you've done everything else. I have to admit, compared to some of the F2P MMORPGs such as FlyFF, KO, Mabinogi, MapleStory, perfect world, forsaken world and such, this actually has a good story compared to those. I mean this is not World of Warcraft with its 3 single player games building up LOTS and LOTS of lore. This is based on GW1, which is sadly, not enough lore compared to many other longer running games. Though technically, gw2 isn't a F2P mmorpg since you actually had to pay 60 dollars for the game instead of 0.
Having said all that, I think the next few updates if my logic is correct, we'll see more and more of not really repeated events, but events that are sporadic and seemingly disconnected with one another to try to keep the players farming. Though personally i would like an over-arching connection between everything. But to expect an amazing story tying up everything nicely at this point is waaaaaaaay too early. GW2 is too young to start tying up stories, in fact this is the part of the stage of the game where you leave loose ends and try to expand the story.
but that's just my two cents.
James
James
Level 15

Male
Number of posts : 153
City : Somewhere, United States
Hobbies : Casting Meteor Showers
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

GW2 and MMORPG retention rates. Empty Re: GW2 and MMORPG retention rates.

Post by Blank De Ratche Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 pm

personally I'd rather have the expansions like in GW1, compared to the drips and drabs we get. Though the releases do seem to be getting better, I actually liked this last one quite a bit. I do agree that GW is way to new to start getting endings.
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

GW2 and MMORPG retention rates. Empty Re: GW2 and MMORPG retention rates.

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down