Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruitment 101

+7
LuriaVel
sky
Katie
Elbryan Strongheart
Dijabouti Jiggle
Lucci_Slevin
Stevejavson
11 posters

Go down

Recruitment 101 Empty Recruitment 101

Post by Stevejavson Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:43 am

Hey there Guild Wars-eers! Ever had trouble keeping that roster topped up? Ever wonder why you're losing 3/4 of your new recruits within a day? Ever wonder why women dislike me? Well! Wonder no more! Recruiting 101 is here for you to help you find classy people for your classy guild!! But wait! Why should you listen to me? Well, take a look at my credentials!!

Recruitment 101 Guide12
Step 1: Approach your target

Don’t go the generic way and spam your guild information in local chat in the middle of a busy outpost. That rarely works.
Recruitment 101 Guide3m

You need to cover as many areas as you can and contact as many recruits as you can. Run around Lion’s Arch, Kamadan, Embark Beach, and Kaineng Center (as well as anywhere else you would think is appropriate). Switch districts and hold down your CTRL key to find out who has a tag and who doesn’t. If you're a fast typer, don't hesitate to keep running and PMing people while a potential recruit has displayed interest. Most people won't end up in your roster and actually ending up with double/triple interviews is uncommon. The people without a tag are your potential targets. Remember to hit up all the major outposts, all the districts, and don't be afraid to repeat. The AFK people will still be there, but there's often plenty of new people popping in as well. Also, don’t recruit people with stupid names like "deth killa sin," that name doesn't even make sense (how do you kill "deth?" No, you, classy recruiter, you want classy people!!!

Recruitment 101 Guide1 Recruitment 101 Guide2

Step 2: State your objectives

Once a suitable target has been found, private message the person with your intention. Try to sound formal, direct, and polite. Classy people will often want a classy recruiter!

Recruitment 101 Guide4

Most of the time, the target will have no interest in joining a guild. In this case, stop the messaging to avoid irritating said target.
Recruitment 101 Guide5a

Something to note is that occasionally, someone will leave a guild because of negative experiences. These people will often give you some subtle cues such as responding along the lines of "I don't really want anything to do with guilds right now." If you're confident enough, (which you should be because you're a classy recruiter in a classy guild!) you can often convince these individuals to join by assuring them that your guild will not have the negativity that has caused them to leave their previous guilds.

Remember, probably 95% of the people you PM will either not respond or say no. It's nothing personal. However, it is your job to PM as many people as you can in a short amount of time. A lot of people are Guildless for a reason but once in a while, you get that special someone who has come back from a long break or something. In this case, tell them about your guild and ask them if they want to know more. Try to cover all the important things that most people would care about such as guild size, activity range, vent, faction alignment etc.

Recruitment 101 Guide6

Step 3: Create a convincing argument

A great deal of classy people will want information about your guild. State this truthfully. After all, they'll probably leave after this huge guild you're in happens to have 80 people who haven't logged in in 3 months. Even if your guild isn't that high quality per se, a lot of classy people will join if the recruiter shows promise, or at least doesn't sound like a twelve year old who thought it would be cool to make a guild.

Recruitment 101 Guide9

Step 4: Determine compatibility

If the person is looking for a guild, ensure that you ask them what they want in a guild. This not only ensures that you are getting the right people, but also it helps acquaint you with their personality.

Recruitment 101 Guide7

Once in a while, you'll get someone you absolutely don't want in your guild. In this case, just state politely that you don't want them by saying something along the lines of: "Sorry, I don't think our guild is right for you." Or if you are a pussy like me, make it sound like nobody is at fault.

Recruitment 101 Guide10

Remember, a bit of small talk is good. You'll be establishing yourself as the person your new member will initially identify with. Also, if you are getting two members in quick succession, small talk can help create a gap between the two welcoming parties. Every recruit should be given their five minutes of fame when they join. Nothing makes people leave like being dumped in a guild and being ignored.

Step 5: PROFIT!!!!

Congratulations! You have gotten a new recruit!

Recruitment 101 Guide11

Make sure you welcome them into your guild/alliance and break the ice with them a little. New guilds can be intimidating! Invite them to ventrilo, ask them what they like to do on Guild Wars.

Recruitment 101 Guide8

Remember, recruiting people takes time and plenty of patience. It is however, very rewarding. You will have plenty of awesome new people to have epic adventures with!

Last edited by Stevejavson on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
Stevejavson
Stevejavson
Level 70

Male
Guild : RAiD
Number of posts : 715
City : Where the grass is green and the girls are moderately attractive
Hobbies : Making people uncomfortable
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Recruitment 101 Empty Re: Recruitment 101

Post by Lucci_Slevin Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:19 am

Nice write up and I like every step in the system. [Liar] mainly recruits through Guru but I can see this as a good way to get a lot of people in the door, very quickly. I am glad to see you guys are growing once again. Smile

Lucci_Slevin
Level 60

Male
Guild : Liars Cheats and Thieves
Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dijabouti Jiggle Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 pm

And remember, sometimes no really means yes!
Dijabouti Jiggle
Dijabouti Jiggle
Level 34

Female
Guild : The Lords of Dragon Heart [RLR]
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2010-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevejavson Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Recruitment 101 Recruitment2

Recruitment 101 Recruitment3

More credentials!!! Keep in mind that all of these were recruited in 1 day!
Stevejavson
Stevejavson
Level 70

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dijabouti Jiggle Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 am

*bows to the master*
Dijabouti Jiggle
Dijabouti Jiggle
Level 34

Female
Guild : The Lords of Dragon Heart [RLR]
Number of posts : 343

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevejavson Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:15 am

RLR will have 100 members someday!
Stevejavson
Stevejavson
Level 70

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Elbryan Strongheart Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:55 am

very good job George we appreciate the help . Smile
Elbryan Strongheart
Elbryan Strongheart
Level 38

Male
Guild : The Lords Of Dragon Heart [RLR]
Number of posts : 389
City : Utica, New York

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:46 am

Awesome and hilarious! I love your examples Smile
Katie
Katie
Level 0

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevejavson Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 am

Katie you are too kind! I am glad that I found you Smile.
Stevejavson
Stevejavson
Level 70

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm

omg george thats sorta intense.
Although. Atleast you dont recruit like this..
Recruitment 101 Gw290
Recruitment 101 Gw289
sky
sky
Level 16

Female
Number of posts : 164
City : Troll Cave (RAiD Hall)
Hobbies : trolololololo
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevejavson Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 pm

HAHAHAH!!
Stevejavson
Stevejavson
Level 70

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LuriaVel Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:49 am

Dijabouti Jiggle wrote:And remember, sometimes no really means yes!
XD Really it does. I wasn't looking for a new guild but Steve got me in anyway and I'm actually really happy I wasn't looking. But then, I've always been told you find what you want/need when you aren't looking for it.

Anyway this guide is helpful. I always saw recruiting as a spammy chore. Especially considering recruits seem to leave before they've been in for a day. This actually looks like it'd be fun, you never know where random PM's can lead.

LuriaVel
Level 0

Female
Guild : Rage Aganist The Demons
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Naix Mccloud Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:24 am

LuriaVel wrote:[
Anyway this guide is helpful. I always saw recruiting as a spammy chore. Especially considering recruits seem to leave before they've been in for a day. This actually looks like it'd be fun, you never know where random PM's can lead.

I agree its a good write-up George sometimes its the basics and manners people forget when recruiting. I comend you sir for taking the time for placing this guide up, not everyone is built to recruit and this is a good officer crash course. My only addition is no matter how boorish, rude reactions you recieve recruiting maintain professionalism, blowing up at people just deducts points from people joining you. Heck back in the day (way before i joined AoL and i dont anymore) i would trap people recruiting for guilds and ask them questions and I would see how long it took them to blow up ...90% of the time less than 5 minutes. Yes You can do "McRecruting" but sometimes quality over quantity is where you want to go. Maybe I am wrong but 9/10 times you do mass membership they wont last a month till they move on to the BBD. So yes my counter arguement is worry not so much for filling the roster but getting quality members for the long haul not seat fillers for the short haul

and Luria yeah random PM's in game..yeah that has led me to about 4 people i consider good friends in game including one I managed a guild with who is now an Aol member and Officer. So never doubt a random PM.
Naix Mccloud
Naix Mccloud
Level 27

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 275
City : a burned out berg where the teams dont get lucky ..and neither do i
Hobbies : photography, bad jokes , and baseball fan extraondinare
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Flynx Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Lotsa common sense info ....AND a fun read! Who could ask for more? I know I cant! Nicely done. cheers
Flynx
Flynx
Level 32

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 322
City : Connecticut...close enuff
Hobbies : GW...and then other less significant games
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wire Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm