Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership

4 posters

Go down

Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership Empty Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

I have noticed that a few officers have not been representing AoL on a regular basis. It has been a part of our guidelines that Officers should always represent for AoL, unless there is a GOOD reason not to do so. In the past, I gave one of you permission to work with a big WvW guild so that he could learn the ropes. I had hoped that this experience would be transferred to AoL

I have spoken to one of you and have a vague idea about why he is not representing. I know there is some resentment about Master Dayle returning and trying to throw his weight around out of the blue. I know it can be off-putting to have someone confront you about not representing when they have been absent for over five months. Other than that, no one has spoken to me about their representation. I am a bit concerned about officers not being happy in AoL. If a member doesn't like something about AoL, they can voice their concerns or leave. As officers, however, it is our duty to make AoL what we want it to be. Not look for what we want elsewhere.

I know I have not been able to dedicate more than an hour or two the game each day. And, I know I have not been a strong leader. If the officers are unhappy about my performance, I would be happy to set up a vote for new leadership. If we are unhappy about the situation with Dayle, we need to agree to what we want and communicate our wishes to him. But, just defecting to a new guild because we are unhappy is unprofessional.

If you have a good reason for representing other guilds, let me know. I don't mind if we want to have dual membership with our allies. I think it is a great idea to rebuild our lost connections with BOOM and RLR. Flynx is laying the ground work for that already. If you no longer wish to be an officer, let me know. If we want new leadership, we need to discuss it, but I will not hand over the reigns to someone who has not been faithful to AoL without good reason.

Sorry for the rant. Please use this thread to discuss the representing issues, new specific guidelines about officers representing, other leadership issues, and the direction AoL should take if you like.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership Empty Re: Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership

Post by Mighty Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 pm

What has Dayle called for? You mentioned him throwing around his weight - but what does that involve? Furthermore, I thought we saw cross-repping as "part of the game". We're in a new game and the same runs may not necessarily work here as in GW1. By being part of more than one guild, we have more experience to draw from. I know people will join WvW guilds and switch to them during WvW because their much more coordinated and have commanders. I think as long as your first priority is AoL you should be able to rep as you choose. The only positions I think should perma-rep should be GL. I say all this but keep in mind it looks bad if majority of the officers are not repping so just keep a mind about it.

Mighty
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1126
City : VA
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership Empty Re: Non Representing Officers -- Guild Leadership

Post by The Beau Brothers Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 pm

This is directly from our Guidelines. Our Guild Charter so-to-speak. We have come a long way and evolved since this document was conceived, but is does have merit. If as officers we wish to amend this document, we should discuss it. I think it should be amended. We should rethink the entire guidelines in light of how we have evolved in the months since launch. However, as it stands, many of us have been in violation from Master Dayle on Down.

-Requirements

Leadership is built on and dependent on communication and activity
Officers are required to remain active and have an involved presence in the guild. All officers will have access to vent and GMail as a requirement. Officers also may not represent other Guilds. Furthermore Officers whom are absent for more than three days will be demoted if the Guild Leader hasn’t been notified. Officers are to put the needs of the guild ahead of their own. Officers must be diplomatic, enthusiastic, even-tempered, tan and handsome (and clearly have a good sense of humour). Keep in mind the Leadership is dynamic, as people step down, others will be brought up. We aim to have a reasonable ratio of Officers to Members. This means we are always watching (in a non-creeper way) to see who is constantly involved with the Guild, how well do they communicate with people, do their actions match their words as trust plays a HUGE part with being in the Leadership group of AoL. However if you ASK to be an officer, most likely not in this lifetime will you be made one no matter how great you tell us you are.

Last edited by The Beau Brothers on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anya Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 am

I have a question regarding few possible scenarios on this matter:

1. Representing another guild who's sole purpose is that of a "Bank".

2. Representing another guild for the purposes of the "Full Guild Group" Influence bonus.

For Ex. Last night I was invited to a Fractals 10 with 4 people from LIAR. As I was the sole member of AOL in the party and am an Ally in LIAR it was suggested that since there is a bonus amount of influence for having a full guild party for events, dungeons and the like, I rep for them during the Fractal.

3. As previously mentioned representing another guild for the purposes of WvW.

Under these few circumstances what would be the "expected" actions to be taken by an officer of any rank within the guild.

As I was not really given a proper introduction when I became an officer in this game, I was not fully aware of some of the role requirements regarding the occasional representation of another guild for any purposes so some enlightenment would be appreciated. There are of course some "obvious" times when it would be highly inappropriate. However I feel that one should not be strictly restricted to not representing another guild for any purposes as that would be taking away from a social aspect of the game not present in GW1.

Edit:

As a side note, Beau I feel you should not discredit yourself as you have done a fine job of holding things together and trying to bring more people together over the past few months.

Last edited by Anya on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Anya
Anya
Level 6

Male
Number of posts : 64
City : Odessa, Texas
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Clem and Rox are leaving us. I will be changing their status to Ally.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 pm

well, never mind... they left completely.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anya Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 pm

That still does not answer my question. Smile
Anya
Anya
Level 6

Male
Number of posts : 64
City : Odessa, Texas
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 am

These are some of the questions that I would like to address when we decide how to amend or rewrite our guidelines.

We wrote the original guidelines before GW2 was even launched. Now that we know more about how the game operates. It is time to reconsider the guidelines and come up with new rules that are more appropriate for GW2 and what we as officers want to make out of AoL.

To address your questions directly... until we come up with new rules. I think having a "mule" guild will be ok. You will only visit that guild to make deposits and withdrawals. Representing our allies will be OK, as long as they return the favor. I know Liars represents us from time to time.

The WvW one is a bit more of an issue for me. I have not done a lot of WvW, so we should compile more information. Filling out an all guild party for a dungeon is an obvious benefit to the representing guild. It is the difference between 10 influence per player and 100 influence for a full guild party. In WvW, I've always experienced it as pretty freelance. Commanders communicate with the entire map and their Blue dots are visible for everyone to see. I see no benefit to representing another guild in WvW other than to give away your influence to them.

Clem led me to believe that he was learning from the other guild to benefit AoL. He never brought that knowledge back to AoL in any meaningful way that I am aware of. I had hoped he would take that knowledge and start building a WvW contingent within AoL. I was a bit disappointed in him for that.

But, like I said, this all needs to be discussed as we draft our new guidelines for AoL 2.0.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mighty Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:41 pm

I've actually been thinking and I believe that the model of guild that will be the most effective in GW2 is a sort of diffusive guild. In a sense small guilds - with VERY active members who flow between guilds > as a means to make the most of guild bonuses and guild missions. We need to focus on quality members over quantity. I dont me to sound selfish but we shouldn't be babying our members - if people want to learn they'll learn - if their interested, we'll have them but we dont need complacent people who are just along for the ride. We need to thin out our roster. We need to be open to the possibility that guild jumping maybe just be part of the game - we can't hold on to our members with an iron fist - we can have a core of officers but as for the members they come and go, as long as we have this forum and we continue to play with one another I say mission accomplished.

Mighty
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1126
City : VA
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Mighty, keep in mind that as an officer - said officer has a certain loyalty to the guild, nay?
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1097
City : Mid-Atlantic USA
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnguala Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:38 am

Might I ask why this was locked?
Finnguala
Finnguala
Light

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness [AoL]
Number of posts : 1097
City : Mid-Atlantic USA
Hobbies : Enthusiastically dancing to Marina and the Diamonds and fawning over Troye Sivan
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:50 am

I felt that this discussion was moving to something more appropriate under "New Guidelines for Officers."
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down