Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restoring a Deleted Thread

4 posters

Go down

Restoring a Deleted Thread Empty Restoring a Deleted Thread

Post by The Beau Brothers Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Hey Neo,

Is there anyway to restore a deleted thread without doing a rollback?  I cannot find anything.

A rollback will delete all new posts back to the date of the roll, right?
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Restoring a Deleted Thread Empty Re: Restoring a Deleted Thread

Post by neoteo Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

not obligatory , i think its possible to recover

let me check
neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1595
City : Macau
Hobbies : Electric Devices
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:23 am

there is way doing a roll back and not deleting new threads , only to recover what is missing by comparison.

When was this thread deleted ?
neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 am

It was deleted sometime on the evening of September 9th. US time.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittynne Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 am

I think it's not right to keep rolling back the forums because of things that are done that should not have been done in the first place, like deleting threads that have valid discussion, for personal reasons.  

People put time into writing what they post.  Will everything be preserved with this way of comparing?  If not, we are still removing things that people took time to write.

Also, it was deleted only minutes after the last few posts were made to it, so unless you are doing a backup every minute, you won't capture it all anyways.  Too bad I don't have the ability to paste it back in, since I saved a copy.

Not that this helps anything now, but I propose that, going forward, we have a "Deleted Threads" section, visible only to admin, where we MOVE threads that we would otherwise want to delete.  So they are still there, but only visible to admin, and can be moved back if they should not have been moved to the "deleted threads" section.

Also, I plan to write up a Do's and Don'ts of good forum moderation to go in the officer section.  Since officers can moderate the other boards, and admins can touch everything, this something that is overdue.
Kittynne
Kittynne
Level 70

Female
Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 am

hi kitty , welcome to the admins forums !

i will look into your proposal for the deleted threads and posts , i have an idea of seeing that.

To be honest i also don't like to do roll back , it takes a huge amount of work to do it .. there is a password that needs to be created every-time , i need to contact system administrator .. etc etc

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by neoteo Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:24 am

ok i didnt find anything outof the box that does that yet , if you do turn it on.

Meanwhile we can do something to workaround

Change the permissions so that no one can delete anything !

If they want something deleted they have to contact admins , how does that sound ?

neoteo
neoteo
Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beau Brothers Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 am

We did discuss during the recent Officers Meeting that no thread should be deleted at all for any reason. This was not brought up, but I would assume an exception would be obvious spam/advertisement from an outside source.

Feel free to post anything that you have saved Kitty.
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittynne Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 pm

There are valid reasons why something should be deleted, like posts in the general forums that talk about officer things. But there is a way of notifying people when you delete those things that makes it less um. Shitty.

Let's be honest here. The thread we are talking about here was deleted by Beau, thereby unilaterally censoring something because he didn't like either the opposing opinion or to hide his less than stellar behaviour. So limiting it to admins isn't going to solve it. I hope that going forward this does not happen again. If it does, we should consider reevaluating who has admin privs.

I think a do and don't thread about good forum moderation is still a good idea, especially since I'm going to assume that most people with mod privs haven't moderated in a situation where they are directly immersed in the community, if they have ever been a mod at all.

Heck, I thought my moderation experience was heavy until my hubby started modding one of the big default subreddits lol.

Also, ty for the welcome, neo. and ty for making these forums available for our use. <3
Kittynne
Kittynne
Level 70

Female
Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:06 pm

I agree officer business has to stay in the officer section and spam etc should be deleted, but other than that I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why any post should be deleted. I deleted posts in the lotto thread when a bunch of officers went against what was discussed and joined, but those were just asking for numbers, I considered that officer business but overall I don't like to see posts deleted or discussions halted. It's been talked about and it will not happen again, I'd ask you though Neo, if any of us do something like that to take that persons admin privileges away.
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content