Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Serious Attempt at a warrior

+4
Soul
Akroma
Xiya The Butcher
Nemac
8 posters

Go down

First Serious Attempt at a warrior Empty First Serious Attempt at a warrior

Post by Nemac Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:02 am

Ok. So here's the deal. I'm not sure exactly what happened or when, but recently I've been obsessing over melee classes on any mmo. I'm going to try to make my first real crack a warrior and I'd would appreciate suggestion. I was thinking about making him a dervish warrior so I could use scythes but it really doesn't matter. I'm also hoping that these tips will make me play more. I'm once again at that stage where I'm rapidly losing interest in this game.

Thanks in advance guildies and possibly alliance members too Razz

~Nemac

Last edited by Nemac on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nemac
Nemac
Level 25

Male
Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 252
City : North Bay
Hobbies : GW, reading, shoosting stuff(FPS games)
Registration date : 2007-07-06

Back to top Go down

First Serious Attempt at a warrior Empty Re: First Serious Attempt at a warrior

Post by Xiya The Butcher Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 am

Well.. IMO Melee Classes Are My Favourite. Wink The best Melee class.. is obviously warrior because they can tank the crap outa stuff Smile Dervs are good - but better in PvE just because there are stronger things in PvP that just rip the crap outa them, Same with warrior Smile Theres also paragon - i really think para's are under rated... if you Look at some of there skills it is an all round effect with shouts and conditions spams with spears Smile to be honest though - the strongest Meleer is obviously warrior. but the only down side is that warriors cant really do much outside of Pvp, they arent a very stable farming class and nobody really wants Warrior tanks anymore Sad but for fun in PvP and for some PvE areas - i'd choose Warr xD. hope this helps

Last edited by Xiya The Butcher on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Miss spelt ><)
Xiya The Butcher
Xiya The Butcher
Level 11

Male
Number of posts : 117
City : UK
Hobbies : Guild Wars :D
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Akroma Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:53 am

I dont understand why over the course of time you keep deleting characters. Its a total waste to have to start over. Any profession in the game offers something unique. Whisper me and we'll talk warrior for a few.
Akroma
Akroma
Level 80

Male
Number of posts : 845
City : CT
Registration date : 2007-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemac Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm

It's just the way I am. Aside from that, there was only 1 intentional deletion and that was way back when my temper was incredibly short. I got stuck on a solo mission, figured I'd never beat it and didn't have any good weapons or any knowledge of what I was doing so I deleted him. This, of course was shortly after I joined the guild and was afraid to ask for help. The other 3 deletions were when I was either half asleep or lost total interest in that character, and even then I only deleted them if they weren't level 20 yet.
Nemac
Nemac
Level 25

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Well good luck with your attempt at being a warrior Nemac hope you enjoy it
Soul
Soul
Level 8

Male
Number of posts : 80
Hobbies : Riding my Bike, Exercising, Hanging with friends, Guildwars, Reading, Looking up stuff.
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramon Skylark Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 am

Hey Nemac, ive been doing the same thing and am currently at that stage again where the game is loosing its apeal for what is nearly the 4th time. I recently started a warrior and am having great fun with him working through NF, im not all that interested in PvP and i use a monk to farm so really the character is just for fun and i intend to farm as many titles as i can get my grubby mele hands on so the warrior suits the role perfectly.

It depends on what you want from the character, dervs are good for all round awesomeness but a warrior is fun and easyer to just pick up and play with.
Ramon Skylark
Ramon Skylark
Level 14

Male
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemac Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 pm

So far, I'm enjoying them. The only downside I see right now, I'm used to playing as an elementalist so I always see high damage being done. The highest I've done with a warrior so far was about 13 without a skill. Although I know that will change once I get some better skills. Even still, its hard to get used to.
Nemac
Nemac
Level 25

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Araesh Nal Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Big post. Deep breath.

I've been playing a sword-wielding warrior for almost two years. Tried a lot of variations.

High damage is possible. That said, a tank is mostly about soaking up damage while your weaker casters unleash massive AoE damage on your enemies.

The sword is not intrinsically the best weapon either, but it's just cool.

Make sure you've got the right starting weapon, and that it's customized for you. At level 20, with 12 Swordmanship, a maxed and customized 15-22 sword will deal base 18-26 damage.

Add inscription "Strength and Honor" at 15%, and while you've more than 1/2 your health (most of the time), base damage is 21-30.

My build:

First Serious Attempt at a warrior Gw00110

You'll want the Shout "I am the strongest", with at least a Norn rank of six. Deals +18 damage per hit (14 at Norn rank 0 - still not bad - and 20 at Norn rank 10). Activate it immediately after an encounter, and it'll be ready when it deactivates after your first 7 successful hits, for another 7 hits.

That's 14 attacks at 39-48 damage each.

Activate Elite Skill "Hundred blades" immediately before your first strike. Next 15 seconds, adjacent enemies take damage as well, amount is Swordmanship + 10. At rank 12, that's 22 damage per adjacent enemy.

If you've got 3 adjacent enemies, you've just deal 39-48 + 3 x 22 = 105-114 damage for the next 15 seconds.

Use "Enraging charge" to rush the enemy - minimizes damage done to you before contact, and gives you another 3 adrenaline when it ends. You want this for ...

"Sun and Moon slash": an unblockable, double attack. So one single attack of 2 x 39-48, or 78-96 damage on one individual. With the three adjacent enemies - 78-96 + 3 x 22 = 144-164 damage in one attack.

Gets better.

If you're playing W/E, use a sword with icy hilt, and "Conjure Frost". With Water Magic 0, for 60 seconds you get + 5 damage per attack. With a single target, 39-48 + 5 = 44-53 damage. With "Sun and Moon slash" on a single target, that's 88-106 damage on one target.

At 12 Water Magic, it's 39-48 + 17 = 56-65 damage on one target. With Sun&Moon, that's 112-130 on that single target.

With 3 adjacent enemies, that's 56-65 + 3 x (22 + 17) = 173-182 damage for each strike over the next 15 seconds. Now we're talking.

With 3 adjacent enemies and Sun&Moon, one strike lands 112-130 + 3 x (22 + 17) = 229-247 damage!

Alternately, as W/N, "Mark of Pain" does great adjacent damage. A furious or sundering hilt is good.

With Curses 0, you do an additional 10 shadow damage to each adjacent foe for 30 seconds. At Curses 12, 34 per foe. Three adjacent foes, Hundred blades active: 39-48 + 3 x 22 + 3 x 34 = 207-216 for each attack over the next 15 seconds.

And your Sun&Moon here lands 78-96 + 3 x 22 + 3 x 34 = 246-255 damage! though only 78-96 damage if there are no adjacent enemies.

Other skills useful here: Seeking Blade. Not quite Sun&Moon, but still gives you a base attack of 39-48 + 16 = 55-64, plus possible cold damage, on one individual. Plus up to another 100+ cold or shadow damage to adjacent enemies.

Or Leviathan's Sweep - little more damage possibly if not blocked, less if blocked. But knocks down if blocked. I'll use it too.

"Lion's comfort" is a decent warrior heal.

If you've got it, "Sunspear Rebirth Signet" trumps a regular Res signet - 100% Health plus 10% energy for each Sunspear rank. But if playing with Heroes&Hench, I'll often not use a Res Signet, and substitute another skill as well.

Finally, to get all these skills you need all campaigns. "Sever Artery" or (better) "Ear Bite" followed by "Gash" are a decent combo you can use until you acquire the other skills.

Araesh Nal
Level 1
Level 1

Male
Number of posts : 11
Hobbies : GW, mountain bike, woodworking
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyris Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 am

Good Guide. You missed a trick or too though ^^

A few skills to consider...

[Whirlwind Attack] <- Crazy AoE damage
["Save Yourselves!"] <- Amazing party support skill.
[Flail] <- IAS that takes advantage of the tendancy of the AI not to kite from melee much. Its effectively free plus Enraging Charge will charge it up instantly.
[Asuran Scan] <- Powerful single target dmage bonus.
["By Ural's Hammer!"] <- Similar overall effect to ["I am the strongest!"] but uses deldrimor rank.
Tyris
Tyris
Level 11

Male
Guild : -
Number of posts : 115
City : UK
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Revenge of Divinity Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Another choice if you cant get to EoTN is the [Signet of Strength] +5 damage for the next 15 attacks
Revenge of Divinity
Revenge of Divinity
Level 23

Male
Number of posts : 232
City : Tulsa, OK USA
Hobbies : reading,biking,guild wars
Registration date : 2007-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content