Blackgate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adult Topics in Guild Chat

+2
B E E Z
The Beau Brothers
6 posters

Go down

Adult Topics in Guild Chat Empty Adult Topics in Guild Chat

Post by The Beau Brothers Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Once in a blue moon, we get a complaint about adult topics in guild chat or on Teamspeak.  It has happened again recently.  When this happens, we usually deal with it on a case by case basis.  However, it has been a long time since it has come up and we have a whole new batch of officers now.  I would like to put this topic back on the table for discussion.  

Personally, I have no problem with adult topics or jokes.  I have an extremely high tolerance adult language and adult topics.  They rarely bother me at all.  I'm even fine with gay jokes as long as they are funny and not cruel.  However we recently had ONE member complain that he felt that Guild Chat had gone too far and it made him uncomfortable.  

My question here is, as officers, do we wish to constrain language to appease a small minority or do we wish to attract a more adult friendly guild membership?  How we decide on this will determine how we handle people who complain.  If we want to be "family" friendly, then we should keep a check on what we allow in guild chat.  If we wish to have a more boisterous lively adult friendly chat, we will need to let the very few members who complain know and suggest that they may be a better fit elsewhere.  

Like I said before, I have no problem with adult language or topics.  I like the way guild chat has been more lively lately.  I do not wish to stifle our guild chat by muzzling our members.  I hope to see more lively guild chat and more funny interactive Teamspeak chats.  So, that is my two cents.  How about you guys?
The Beau Brothers
The Beau Brothers
Divine Light

Male
Guild : AOL
Number of posts : 2949
City : Morgan City, LA
Hobbies : Gaming, Cooking, Bowling, Entertaining Friends
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Adult Topics in Guild Chat Empty Re: Adult Topics in Guild Chat

Post by B E E Z Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Lol that incident was because of me. My deal is this, if someone tells me "hey can we change the subject, I'm uncomfortable" I'm happy to comply. I personally will not permanently censor myself, so if it comes to that I'd have to find an adult guild promise this is not meant to be an ultimatum or sound bitchy, but I do want to be up front and honest).
In the case you're referencing, the guildy didn't say anything to me or any ody else about the content of guild chat and instead waited until we were into our convo to snarky comment about guild officers being immature. If they said something in chat or in whisper I would have happily toned it down.
I told Daph if you guys want to demote me so that the rank isn't an issue I'm ok with that
B E E Z
B E E Z
Light

Female
Guild : Army of Lightness
Number of posts : 1261
City : Charleston
Hobbies : stoofz
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Mortenzen Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 pm

I thought this happened more in TS than guild chat... To me the "adult" content ending on guild chat was always more on the *wink**wink**nudge**nudge* side of things.... And even in this instance (which I'm totally unaware of) I'm sure it was far from cybersex lol.

So yeah... we usually refrain from being rude towards someone and put members into place if they start antisemitists topics. But the recent activity we've had is more joyful banter than anything else as far as I'm concerned...

So yeah, I say let it slide... Keep things cheerful and fun as long as it's good humor, and if one feels the urge of sharing every little details of last night's facial, my whisper channel is all ears (or all eyes?)
Yuri Mortenzen
Yuri Mortenzen
Light

Male
Guild : AoL
Number of posts : 1551
City : Macau
Hobbies : PC, PS3, comics, good food
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PunjabiJatt Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't have a problem with the adult topics or jokes as long as it doesn't get too out of hand. I've actually been enjoying the liveliness of guild chat lately.
PunjabiJatt
PunjabiJatt
Level 2

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

I agree it's a case by case basis. Depending on what is said, THe biggest thing is, if they are asked to stop, they should stop, they can take it to party/whisper/whatever.
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank De Ratche Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm

a couple of questions though, how explicit was this chat, AoL has always been PG-13 guild chat, (at least as long as I can remember) but I'm just wondering what it is bothering him/her?
Blank De Ratche
Blank De Ratche
Light

Male
Number of posts : 1444
City : Florida
Hobbies : GW
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by B E E Z Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Admittedly rather raunchy. I can't remember exactly what we were talking about but it was probably in the R category.
B E E Z
B E E Z
Light

Female
Number of posts : 1261
City : Charleston
Hobbies : stoofz
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Red Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 am

I have to agree....all matters who is on. We just need to be cautious of who is on. If not someone we are used to being on (TS) that is, with , then be see what they think.
Mr.Red
Mr.Red
Level 3

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down